Friday, May 8, 2009

Michi-get your gun

Jesus Christ, Michigan. I swear. It's not a war. (Wait - is it? Crap.)

In other news, we're sorry/not sorry/undecided to see Ken Cockrel, Jr. unseated by Dave Bing this week, but anything to get Monica Conyers out of the big chair over at City Council. Interestingly, News sez that 500 people (or more) are lining up a run for council this year.

It's tempting to think that folks are all keyed up to engage in local political affairs and make a difference, but it also occurs that local government may be the one of the last stable industries in the city. The salaries aren't bad, and the whole by-district thing isn't exactly in place yet.

Really, it's a win-win. Still, if we can get a couple of the old biddies unseated and into treatment/nut houses/rest homes where they'd be much safer and happier, that'd be really sweet. Less embarrassments, more doing things to help - sounds like something worth shooting for.

3 comments:

AmyinMotown said...

Your name's on the ballot, then? Seriously, I am campaigning for all the (smart, in touch with reality) Detroit folk I know to run. You in? I'd help. And you wouldn't even have to give me a fake job after. I would vote (and talk everyone I know into voting) for a you-Woodward's Friend--SweetJuniper-Supergay slate. Come on, guys! Do it!

blogfrog said...

In regards to City Official pay, don't forget the perks I.E. bribes.

David said...

def. on my list of things to do before I die (make a run for council, that is), but in the meantime, any of the other guys would have my full support.